METER TECHNICIAN JOB DESCRIPTION
At McLean Electric Cooperative, Inc. (MEC), we thrive on being the organization that people love to work for. Come join our team as a Metering Technician in beautiful Garrison, located in McLean County, North Dakota. We are committed to providing a full benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, retirement, holiday pay, vacation and sick leave pay, and life insurance.
Reports to: Engineering Manager Hourly Pay Range: DOE
Industry: Electric Utility
The Metering Technician provides office and field support to the Cooperative's automated meter infrastructure (AMI) system. This position will program, install, test, and repair meters and metering systems utilized by MEC.
The successful individual will also be responsible for:
• Implement a meter maintenance program which will ensure accurate measurements of power usage.
• Promote and assure adherence to all established safety rules and practices.
• Protect and enhance the reputation and public image of the Cooperative and its staff.
• Work both with members and with the public in a courteous, friendly, and professional manner regarding all activities of MEC.
• Install and maintain SCADA equipment and software for MEC substations.
Primary Job Functions
• Verify self-contained metering, assist with verification of CT metering and primary metering points, meter sockets, load control, and lighting systems
• Install and exchange meters.
• Monitor the AMI system and proactively exchange or repair meters.
• Provide meter data (reads) as needed to ensure accurate billing records.
• Disconnect meters for non-payment as needed.
• High school diploma/GED
• Two years of experience working with electric/electronic circuitry, components, and diagrams
• Must be capable of operating MEC vehicles and hold a valid Driver License
• Must have the aptitude and willingness to become knowledgeable with AMI
• Must have advanced computer and technical skills
• Ability to utilize web-based performance management and time tracking systems, desktop software such as MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, various web-based applications.
• Enhanced ability to troubleshoot, utilize, and monitor Web-based platforms.
• Ability to learn to use customer information systems and utility-specific work and service order applications.
• Proficient with NISC modules such as CIS, OMS, and MDMS.
• Electrical experience as an electrician or instrumentation technician working with circuits from 12 VDC up to 480VAC.
• Advanced troubleshooting skills for both hardware and software.
• Preferred individual will have a Meter Technician certification.
• Preferred individual will have experience in meter testing programs.
Please email or mail a cover letter, resume, and (3) references by December 3, 2021 to:
McLean Electric Cooperative; Attn: Sonja Moe
PO Box 399; Garrison, ND 58540
McLean Electric Cooperative is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer regarding race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and veterans status.
Write a Winning Essay and Win A Trip of a Lifetime to Washington. D.C.
June 19-June 24, 2022
To enter the essay-writing contest, you must:
- Write a winning essay by December 10, 2021
Be enrolled as a high school sophomore or junior during the 2021-22 school year.
You and your parents or guardian must be served by McLean Electric Cooperative.
- Essay is not to exceed two standard 8½- by 11-inch typewritten, double-spaced pages on this topic:
If you were asked to help promote your cooperative’s annual
membership meeting, what ideas do you have for increasing
attendance among young member-owners and students?
Please provide specific examples for unique communications
strategies, scheduling and special activities for member-owners
and their families.
Submit your essay in hard copy or electronic format to Roughrider Electric. Electronic submissions should conform to the two-page, double-spaced guideline described above.
Include a cover page with your name, email, date of birth, school, and grade in 2021-22, parent or guardian’s name, address, email, and telephone number.
The deadline is December 10, 2021. Emailed entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and hard-copy entries should be mailed to: Youth Tour Essay Contest, c/o Sonja Moe, PO Box 399, Garrison ND 58540
If you have any questions, contact Sonja Moe at 701-463-6700What is the Youth Tour?
Every June, as many as 1,800 high school students from across the country spend a week in the nation's capital as part of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. The students are sponsored by electric cooperatives – cooperatives that are committed to educating America's rural youth about America and the role electric cooperatives play in developing strong rural communities.
Participating in the Youth Tour is an awesome way to learn about this great nation, develop leadership skills, gain a better understanding of electric cooperatives, and make friendships that will last beyond the week!
The Electric Cooperative Youth Tour has brought high school juniors and seniors to Washington, D.C. every June since the late 1950s. Students compete for slots for this unique opportunity and are selected for this program by their local electric cooperative. McLean Electric’s selection process takes the form of an essay contest.
McLean Electric Cooperative Director Achieves Credential in Today's Electric Utility Competencies
James Odermann MEC District 6 Director, recently received the Credentialed Cooperative Director certificate from the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA).
An ever-changing business environment has imposed new demands on electric cooperative directors, requiring increased knowledge of changes in the electric utility business, new governance skills, and a solid knowledge of the cooperative principles and business model. McLean Electric Cooperative has a commitment to work through NDAREC/NRECA to sharpen this body of knowledge for the benefit of their electric cooperative consumer-owners.